THIS BLOG IS INACTIVE. REVIEW REQUESTS ARE IGNORED.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Review: The Dark Divine, by Bree Despain

The Dark Divine, by Bree Despain
Published: December 22, 2009
Publisher: Egmont USA
Pages: 372


A Prodigal Son

A Dangerous Love

A Deadly Secret
 

Grace Divine—daughter of the local pastor—always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared and her brother Jude came home covered in his own blood. 

Now that Daniel's returned, Grace must choose between her growing attraction to him and her loyalty to her brother. 

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, she learns the truth about that mysterious night and how to save the ones she loves, but it might cost her the one thing she cherishes most: her soul

Cover: I love the covers for this series. They're absolutely stunning, but I have no idea how they have anything to do with the story. Unfortunately, this is often the case for me with young adult novels. These cover artists create the most beautiful covers, but it doesn't seem as though they're creating that cover for the specific novel. 4/5

Plot & Pace: I really enjoyed this story! There were times when I felt that it was moving a little too slowly, and I was pretty far into the book without really feeling like much had happened, but there was never a time when I felt like putting it down because of this. It flowed easily, and I think we were given just enough information to make this world seem real.  4/5

Characters: Grace was a pastor's daughter, and she definitely had that good girl thing going on. She was extremely caring, and was constantly trying to better the lives of those around her. One specific thing I loved about Grace, was how she was the complete opposite of most paranormal female characters. **SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT** Grace wasn't the type to say, "I know you're a monster and you could kill me, but I love you anyway, and I'm not going anywhere!". With her, she was more like "I love you, but dude, I don't want to die. Stay away from me." Of course I'm paraphrasing because Grace would never use the term "dude". :p
I liked Daniel. He was a great person, given all he had been through. He was good for Grace, even if she didn't realize it.
Don was a sweet character, who reminded me a lot of Lennie from Of Mice and Men.
The other characters in the novel were interesting enough to be memorable, but there are few of them I cared enough about to look forward to in the next novel. I'm anxious to see where Grace and Daniel's story goes, as well as her brother Jude's. 4/5

Ending: There were moments throughout the novel that I was just kind of, ehh about it. But the last few chapters really redeemed it for me, and I was quite happy with the way things ended. There were just enough loose ends left to leave me wanting the next book. I'm really looking forward to The Lost Saint. 5/5


Overall Rating: 4 out of 5