THIS BLOG IS INACTIVE. REVIEW REQUESTS ARE IGNORED.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Review: Firelight, by Sophie Jordan

Firelight, by Sophie Jordan
Published: September 7, 2010
Publisher: Harperteen
Pages: 326
Overall Rating: 5/5

With her rare ability to breathe fire, Jacinda is special even among the draki—the descendants of dragons who can shift between human and dragon forms. But when Jacinda’s rebelliousness leads her family to flee into the human world, she struggles to adapt, even as her draki spirit fades. The one thing that revives it is Will, whose family hunts her kind. Jacinda can’t resist getting closer to him, even though she knows she’s risking not only her life but the draki’s most closely guarded secret. 

Firelight is definitely one of my favorite releases for 2010.

You probably hadn't noticed, but I haven't been reviewing nearly as often as usual. That's because I haven't been reading nearly as often as usual. Supernatural (the epic show) took over my life for a couple of weeks. I'm all caught up on that now (and going through withdrawals), so I picked up Firelight, hoping to get sucked into it and never want to leave. It most definitely delivered.

The story is completely believable, from the very start. One of my concerns going in, was that the author wouldn't have been able to pull off a dragon shifter. It's a unique concept, and Sophie Jordan describes it so vividly, you can picture it all happening.

Google "draki". You know you'll find? Nothing but Firelight. Why? Because this is a world all its own. Sophie Jordan created her own mythological world, that sets its self apart from every other supernatural world that I have ever read about. This is a risk, because if you can't make it believable, people simply won't buy into it. But I never once found myself doubting anything. Sophie Jordan paints this picture with perfection!

Jacinda and Tamra are twins, but Tamra never manifests. So she is basically a human. It's difficult for me to convey how Jacinda and Tamra are so different, and yet so very similar. They're both very passionate about what they want, and while it's two completely different things, they seem to handle it the same way. Like twins (because they are). Make sense? If not, it will when you read it.

Will is a draki hunter, but is still drawn to Jacinda in a magical way. He is an adorable character, and I completely understand why Jacinda is drawn to him.

Jacinda's mother really ticked me off. She claimed she was wanting to do what was best for her daughters, but in my mind, she was nothing but selfish. She seemed to care about petty things like cheerleading when it came to Tamra, but Jacinda is literally dying inside, and her mother wants this. I couldn't understand her reasoning at all. Tamra felt the same, but I felt differently about her. While I think she could've been more understanding, for the first time in her life, she was slightly happy. So I understood her actions.

The ending! I cannot wait for Vanish. The ending of Firelight leaves you dying for more!!



Cover:
5/5
Plot:
5/5
Pace:
5/5
Characters:
5/5
Ending:
4/5
Writing Style:
5/5